THE ANIMAL CALLED COMMUNICATION
PART 1: WHAT IS COMMUNICATION?
Communication is a subject that has been given a big platform in life through relationships, social media, business and so on but one not quite understood. The importance of understanding it has been neglected and most people find themselves troubleshooting their way through the various demands of this important aspect to make life meaningful. While some build fulfilling relationships, others get hurt never to recover again. Worse still, others carryon on as wounded soldiers while others fight their way through hurting and being hurt. In all this, communication is used or abused to meet different agendas. But what is this animal called communication? Can it be tamed? Who can tame it?
Firstly, this animal called communication is very wild in nature but domestic in terms of habitation. The challenge for many people is assuming that because it is amongst them by default, it is domestic by nature. Well domestic animals are friendly and this one is certainly not friendly as it will bite those that do not make the deliberate effort to tame it. Although it can be tamed, the process is for life as the animal is subject to its own/ old ways when left unattended. The good news is anyone can tame it and that by acquiring wisdom.
But what is it? The oxford online dictionary simply defines communication as, “the imparting or exchanging of information by speaking, writing or using some other medium”.
From the above definition, we can draw out the following crucial points about communication:
- Information: what one needs to know
- Impartation: giving new knowledge
- Exchanging: sharing new knowledge
- Medium: the information is transmitted through a certain platform (human or other)
We live in a world where there is need for constant movement of information between parties to enable relationships to go forward as expected producing positive results. The natural expectation is for peace and harmony without which relationships fail. This shows the vital role that information plays in people’s lives. Now the vehicle that moves information between parties or entities is communication.
Origin & Purpose of Communication
In the beginning was the word and that word was God. So God was by himself and when he had created everything else and had seen that it was good, he created man for fellowship. He wanted to be worshiped, to be exalted, to be ministered to and to be honored. Thus began the mystery of communication. Then there was the devil who was thrown out of heaven because of his pride. He wanted power so the only way to gain it was to pervert everything that represents God. He goes after every teaching and produces counterfeits for his kingdom. For truth he has lies; for love, hate; for order, disorder; gor faith, fear and the list goes on.
Talking about God and Man, scripture says, “as he is, so are we in the earth” (1 John 4:17). So the need to be exhorted, lifted up and communicated to in a positive way is inborn. It is the divine nature that likens us to God, moreso because “Christ in us is the hope of Glory” (Colossians 1:27). Anytime that we receive information that threatens our peace, that demeans us or puts us down, it doesn’t settle well because it has come against our whole pre-destined nature. It will rock our boat and so in the absence of wisdom it means the art of information processing is not mastered. In this case the response may further that evil agenda to bring disharmony. In the absence of the fruits of the Holy Spirit, the filters of this information are already distorted with an inclination towards evil so that agenda then overrules the process leading to misunderstandings and confusion.
Types of Communication
- Positive Communication: This is the God-Ordained kind which is also commonly known as communication. The fruit of this type of communication is peace, joy, happiness, fulfilment, longsuffering, meekness etc. Infact all of the fruits of the Holy Spirit as shown below can be witnessed when this type of communication is present.
adopted from worddherald.com
It simply exemplifies the Divine Nature of God. It builds, it encourages, it clarifies, it appreciates and brings good tidings. Worthy of note is the fact that this is the kind that can relay negative messages in a constructive way and bring positive results
2. Negative Communication: This is the perversion of Gods plan in terms of fellowship among parties which can be intentional or non-intentional. Anytime you witness disorder and disharmony, it is the work of this type also commonly referred to as miscommunication. It thrives in misunderstandings, misquotings, assumptions that seek no validation or proof and is basically born of pride. Lies characterise this kind because of the devil, the father of lies and originator of this distorted kind of communication. Consequently, there is disorder, pain, breaking, tearing down and discouragement in the face of miscommunication because of the lack of clarity. Nonetheless, some positive communication in terms of truth may fall in this category because of a negative agenda (truth being used to hurt).
to be cont. in Part 2
Thank you for reading this post. Don’t forget to like and share. Join me again in the next post Part 2 as we continue discovering the animal called communication. In the next post we discover key communication factors and in the upcoming posts we will unravel communication barriers and how to dissolve them
falling is not he problem but failing to rise up is…